MEDICAL RECORDS CODER I
Duke Health strongly recommends getting up-to-date vaccinations against COVID-19, especially for those with conditions that place them at higher risk. However, COVID-19 vaccination is no longer a requirement for team members at Duke Health.
As a part of Duke Health’s outpatient clinic network, you will enjoy competitive compensation, comprehensive benefits plans, convenient work hours, and many opportunities for career advancement. Become a part of a team that values and invests in you.
This position is remote but may be requested to be available to be onsite on an as-needed basis.
This position is responsible for coding Anesthesiology physician charges from the operative reports in the Epic system. Reviews records to verify the providers effectively document services rendered as well as properly attesting to their services. Select appropriate ASA and CPT codes based upon best coding standards as established by the AMA. Identifies and helps resolve billing issues within the department. Work Work Queue edits. Identifies Anesthesiology charging and documentation issues and relates these to the appropriate faculty or Revenue Manager.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Review the complex (problematic coding that needs research and reference checking) medical records and accurately codes the procedures from the operative reports using CPT coding conventions. Documents additions and corrects errors on the Epic encounter according to departmental standards. Communicates with faculty about necessary documentation for accurate charging and billing. Assists faculty on the charging practices and documentation standards for the department and responds to provider inquiries as needed.
- Documents additions and corrects errors on the Epic encounter according to departmental standards. Communicates with faculty about necessary documentation for accurate charging and billing. Assists faculty on the charging practices and documentation standards for the department and responds to provider inquiries as needed.
- Processes the daily Anesthesia charge batches in a timely fashion and reviews patient charts for completeness while verifying that all information is accurately documented and that all appropriate charges are captured.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, disease processes and surgical techniques through participation in continuing education programs to effectively apply CPT coding guidelines to inpatient and outpatient procedures.
- Maintains an understanding of medical record practices, standards, and regulations. Maintain Production and Quality standards set forth by the department. Assist in developing current written policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
JOB ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
- High school diploma is required. In addition, coursework in Medical Terminology, Anatomy and Physiology, with training in medical records coding is required.
Requires one year of medical records coding experience related to patient records using ICD-9-CM and the CPT-4 coding systems.
A medical records coding certification (see below) or degree in Health Information Management or a related field can substitute for the one year experience requirement.
- An active/current certification in one of the following areas is preferred, and will substitute for the one year experience requirement:
- Certified Coding Associate (CCA)
- Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) Hospital Coding
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC)
- Certified Professional Coder Apprentice (CPC-A)
- Homecare Coding Specialist-Diagnosis (HCS-D) Homecare Coding
- Certified Professional Coder Hospital (CPC-H)
- Preferred experience to include: anesthesia coders with some anesthesia background plus a certification
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Explore Duke Health Integrated Practice
Want to see where you’d be working? Check out this location and everything it has to offer you.
Serving With Purpose
You’ve always been called to care – and we share your dedication to making a meaningful difference in the community. With the entire team united through this purpose, there are no limits to what we can achieve together. You’ll have all the resources you need here to leave a legacy of exceptional service because at Duke Health we support you in your calling to care.
Awards and Recognition
Duke Health is consistently recognized as a top employer for our dedication to the team members and the patients we serve.
On Forbes list of Best Large Employers, we are the #1 healthcare recipient in North Carolina for 2023.
Our hospitals are consistently recognized as LGBTQ Healthcare Equality Leaders by Healthcare Equality Index.
We are among about 9 percent of U.S. hospitals that hold the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Magnet Recognition honor.
CHIME Digital Health Most Wired recipient since 2018, honoring our ability to elevate the health and care of communities around the world.
We are proud to be named as the #1 healthcare system in North Carolina on Fortune’s America’s Most Innovative Companies 2023 list.
Jobs For You
As you search for opportunities that fit your skills, any jobs you view will appear here.
You haven’t saved any jobs yet, but when you find an opportunity that seems right for you, bookmark it so you can return to it easily.
More About Duke Health
Upcoming Hiring Events
Check out our calendar of events to stay up-to-date on information sessions, webinars, and other events featuring new opportunities at Duke Health.
Benefits You’ll Love
We want to make your life better both in and out of work. That’s why we offer comprehensive benefits and unique perks that cater to you and your family.
What We Stand For
Our values define the work we do. Team members here share in these values, creating a community that is connected in purpose and committed to excellence.
With hospitals in Raleigh and Durham and over 140 specialty and primary care clinics around the Triangle region, there are many options to join Duke Health in the city and the suburbs.