Duke Health requires team members to receive the COVID-19 and influenza vaccines. After you have officially accepted a position at Duke Health, you may request a religious or medical accommodation.
Abdominal Transplant Felllowship APP / Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant
Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 1,048 licensed inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 65 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; a separate hospital outpatient surgical department with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area. For 2021-2022, U.S. News and World Report ranked Duke University Hospital nationally in 11 adult specialties: cancer, cardiology & heart surgery, diabetes & endocrinology, ear, nose & throat, gastroenterology & GI surgery, gynecology, neurology & neurosurgery, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology & lung surgery, and urology. Duke University Hospital is also ranked first in North Carolina and first in the Raleigh-Durham area.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
Duke Nursing Highlights:
- Duke University Health System is designated as a Magnet organization
- Nurses from each hospital are consistently recognized each year as North Carolina's Great 100 Nurses.
- Duke University Health System was awarded the American Board of Nursing Specialties Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy for being strong advocates of specialty nursing certification.
- Duke University Health System has 6000 + registered nurses
- Quality of Life: Living in the Triangle!
- Relocation Assistance (based on eligibility)
ABDOMINAL TRANSPLANT FELLOWSHIP
Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner
Job Location – Duke University Hospital
Time Line –
Position Starts September 1, 2023 and ends August 30, 2024
Interviews will be conducted in spring 2023 with selection made by May 31, 2023
The Duke Abdominal Transplant Surgery Advanced Practice Provider (NP or PA-C) Fellowship rotates through all clinical settings in the transplant service this includes inpatient and outpatients locations. The APP transplant fellow will work alongside APPs and MDs to provide direct patient care services for surgically and medically ill adult, adolescent and pediatric patients at Duke University Hospital or in the clinic in collaboration with medical and surgical physicians. The APP Fellow performs physical exams, collects and documents data, conducts diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, orders and schedules laboratory studies and professional consultations, prescribes appropriate interventions and medications, coordinates the care and discharge of patients, may assist in the operating room and provides direct patient care services. The APP Fellow contributes to excellence in patient care, research, teaching, and provides leadership in the organization.
Goals of APP Transplant fellowship:
- Acquire a deep and broad knowledge base of the common disease processes for which patients are hospitalized, understanding the pathophysiology, various presenting clinical presentations and disease prognosis
- Develop a diverse differential diagnosis and respective diagnostic and treatment plan based upon the patient's presenting symptoms along with evidence-based and cost-effective medical care
- Manage patients effectively throughout the whole hospital stay, including admission, daily rounds and continuing evaluation, and dismissal, while remaining cognizant of the patient's emotional, physical and spiritual needs
- Learn practice management, including strategies in training APPs and APP students
- Develop keen verbal skills to effectively communicate with colleagues, physicians, patients and ancillary staff to ultimately become a key part of the inpatient health care delivery team
Position Eligibility Requirements
PA: Graduate of ARC accredited Physician Assistant Program, Master’s Degree preferred.
NP: Graduate of MSN or DNP Acute Care Nurse Practitioner program.
NP: Acute Care Nurse Practitioner that can treat adolescents and adults
PA: Current and uninhibited license issued by NCMB with authorization to practice as a PA
NP: Current and uninhibited RN license issued by NCBON with authorization to practice as a NP
Primary hours will be Monday – Friday, 12-hour days. Expect schedule to fluctuate based on rotation needs. This is an immersive 1 year commitment and you can anticipate working 45-50 hours per week.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Jobs For You
As you search for opportunities that fit your skills, any jobs you view will appear here.
You haven’t saved any jobs yet, but when you find an opportunity that seems right for you, bookmark it so you can return to it easily.
As you explore and apply to career opportunities with Duke Health, we want to alert you of possible fraudulent scams and phishing schemes targeted at job seekers. Duke Health will never ask for any financial contribution or to provide sensitive personal information outside of our application and background check process.