Duke Health requires team members to receive the COVID-19 and influenza vaccines. After you have officially accepted a position at Duke Health, you may request a religious or medical accommodation.
AVP - DUHS - Quality Network - Patient Safety
To provide leadership, strategic direction, and operational management within Duke Network Services (DNS) including but not limited to oversight in support of quality and patient safety efforts of the Duke Quality Network (DQN). As leader of the DQN, the Assistant Vice President (AVP) oversees externally facing affiliations and partnerships to advise and assist healthcare organizations to develop/enhance patient safety and clinical quality platforms including implementation, monitoring, and continuous improvement. Affiliated partners include but are not limited to Duke LifePoint Healthcare and the Duke LifePoint hospitals and organizations. The AVP is accountable for ensuring the DQN is aligned with and linked to the overall mission, vision, values, strategic plan and policies of Duke Health programs to achieve the following goals: (1) improve the care delivered in affiliated community organizations through DUHS programmatic support, quality oversight and education, (2) establish and operate affiliated quality programs with community hospitals/organizations which generate income for Duke, (3) position Duke as the preferred resource for clinical quality and patient safety program development and (4) enhance the image of and access to all DUHS clinical programs and services.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develops and fosters effective collaboration among DUHS departments, clinical departments, academic departments and divisions in support of program development for clinical quality and patient safety affiliations and Duke LifePoint engagement
- Creates productive physician faculty relationships to assure collaborative problem solving and supports physician leadership’s clinical initiatives in clinical quality and patient safety affiliations including but not limited to Duke LifePoint Hospitals
- Serves as an executive leader within Network Services representing not only the DQN team, and also the Network Services team
- Creates a safe environment for staff and promotes One Connected Team within the DQN, across DNS and through collaborations with peers across the health system
- Promotes relationships across DQN, DUHS, and affiliated organizations, including but not limited to Lifepoint and the DLP hospitals, for continuous improvement in the affiliate quality programs and performance improvement at the DLP and affiliate hospital levels
- Serves as one of the senior executives in support of the Duke LifePoint partnership
- Leads the DQN professional team through encouragement and influence to ensure all staff are able to work to the top of their job expectations and expertise; and are recognized for the value they bring in their roles to the team, the program, the dept and the health system
- Embraces and role models DNS beliefs and behaviors that support a positive work culture including respect, development, inclusiveness for all staff, promoting systemness within the team, and across the dept, health system and affiliates by removing barriers, and demonstrating shadow of a leader in all interactions
Strategy and Planning
- In collaboration with DUHS & DNS executive leaders and the DQN team, and in alignment with Duke Health's overall strategic priorities, leads the development, evaluation and refinement of the DQN strategic plan to guide the determination of growth opportunities and scope of work for the team.
- Collaborates with executives and colleagues of affiliated hospitals/partners to develop, implement and evaluate quality and patient safety platforms that align with the DUHS philosophy and structure for quality and patient safety.
- Serves as a senior executive within Network Services responsible for developing integrated services within and outside of the Department in support of clinical quality and patient safety affiliations.
- Ensures effective implementation and revision as needed of the Duke Quality Plan and Program to promote ongoing performance improvement at affiliated hospital and to protect the Duke Brand.
- In collaboration with DNS, DUHS, DHIP and SOM senior leaders, develops and supports strategies for program growth of clinical quality and patient safety affiliations based on market analysis, revenue opportunity and maintaining protection of the Duke Brand.
- Serves as a member of the Development Team for Duke LifePoint Healthcare in the evaluation of potential hospitals including assisting in the development, and review of RFP responses, due diligence and go/no go recommendations.Serves as the DNS lead in the evaluation of potential quality affiliations with other organizations including drafting of proposals, due diligence, go/no go and the business decisions and scope of work in contract negotiations.
Oversees tactical plans created by direct reports to assure success of strategic plan implementation with clinical quality affiliations and outreach
Responsible for creating and managing new business development initiatives within clinical quality and patient safety affiliations to maximize organizational growth and network portfolio
Identifies and evaluates opportunities for new revenue generation ventures and support outreach initiatives within Network Services
Coordination and Communication
- Assures effective communication of clinical quality and patient safety affiliation initiatives within and across relevant internal and external audiences.
- Collaborates with DUHS, PDC, DHIP, Duke Network Services and affiliate sites marketing and communication teams to assure communication strategies and tactics are optimal and aligned with the Duke mission, vision and values.
- Ensures timely communication to DNS and DUHS executive leaders regarding potential/suspected events including but not limited to those reportable to regulatory agencies.
- Ensures timely follow up communication to DNS & DUHS executive leaders on all events reported to regulatory agencies through resolution.
- Seeks voice of the customer through direct inquiry for real-time problem solving and improvement
- Fully knowledgeable of and resource for the Quality Program and associated affiliates as delineated in all agreements/contracts representing services provided by the DQN including but not limited to, the DLP LLC and DLP Licensing agreements as amended from time to time.
- ‘Ensures affiliate quality plans and programs adhere to contractual requirements including but not limited to the DLP Quality Program as amended from time to time as set forth in the DLP LLC Agreement.
- Serves as the liaison for Duke participation in affiliate quality committees including but not limited to the DLP Quality Oversight Committee, including serving as a resource to the contractual requirements outlined in affiliate agreements (e.g. The Quality Program in the Duke LifePoint LLC agreements).
- Serves as the senior executive for ensuring Affiliate organization's executive leaders (e.g. Duke LifePoint) are onboarded and understand Duke’s role in the affiliation/partnership; provides follow up as needed.
- Responsible for providing high-level direction to assigned Directors/Senior Directors in establishing and maintaining a system for measuring the effectiveness and efficiency of clinical quality affiliations.
- Develops solutions to improve operational and business processes, including standardization when optimal, to enhance efficiency and service to Duke Quality affiliates.
- Establishes and maintains effective internal operations and oversight of affiliate relationships.
- Recognizes and implements opportunities to improve fiscal and operational performance of assigned networks within Network Services.
Supervisory and Personnel Management
- Directly manages Directors/Senior Directors and other direct reports in support of strategic initiatives and operational support for clinical quality affiliations throughout the United States.
Performance Management and Regulatory Compliance
- Maintains compliance with all relevant legislative and regulatory rules and requirements established by state and federal agencies as well as those of voluntary accrediting bodies to ensure continued compliance.
- Provides consultative services and support to affiliates to regain compliance with regulatory and/or accreditation standards if determined to be non-compliant.
- Oversees the establishment of monitoring tools to assure programs meet DUHS criteria for program participation.
- Accountable for departmental budgets.
- Responsible for the development, management and setting of financial targets.
- Works with Corporate Finance to ensure accurate revenue cycle and billing for assigned teams/divisions.
- Collaborates with DNS and DUHS senior executive leadership to ensure that adequate financial resources are made available to fulfill the vision of excellence for clinical quality and patient safety affiliations and for Duke LifePoint Healthcare
A successful candidate will have;
- Strong inclusive leadership, team building, and conflict management skills.
- Knowledge/experience in patient safety/hospital quality programs and regulatory compliance.
- Experience in leading teams through process improvement and change initiatives.
- Ability to motivate and sustain interest in improving patient safety and clinical quality.
- Consultative skills with recent experience are strongly preferred.
- Effective organizational, problem-solving, program development, and computer skills.
- A proven track record of working effectively with all levels of staff.
- A deep understanding of clinical processes and hospital operations.
- Excellent problem-solving and facilitation skills.
- Ability to lead effectively in a matrixed organization requiring high levels of collaboration, sound judgment and significant operational experience.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of the current healthcare landscape with the ability to envision future direction and growth opportunities.
- Demonstrated experience building and growing successful, measurable programs.
- Experience with systemness with demonstrated success building, adapting and evolving quality program(s) across multiple entities; including harnessing technology to streamline data aggregation and analysis.
- Knowledge of physician practice and clinical operations that lead to effective and efficient care structures and processes.
- Knowledge of healthcare payment systems and sound financial management practices.
- Demonstrates motivation and initiative in seeking professional growth and development.
- Knowledge of relevant legislation and regulation.
- Ability to assess the current situation and devise and execute necessary improvement/corrective actions.
- Ability to work collaboratively with multiple constituents.
- Ability to influence people in their opinions, attitudes, beliefs, and decisions.
- Ability to make decisions based on verifiable and/or measurable data or criteria.
- Ability to negotiate and mediate complex and often competing interests.
- Ability to communicate effectively through oral and written communications to diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated success in leading diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging as a cultural tenet to achieving a diverse and highly functional work team.
- Ability to travel in support of new business and established affiliated sites (local, regional and national travel will be required).
Work requires a Master's degree in a related field; or equivalent experience. Preferred concentration (MHA, MBA, DNP)
Work requires a minimum of 5 years experience (preferred 10-15 years) in responsible hospital operations including at least three years at the administrative leadership level.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Jobs For You
As you search for opportunities that fit your skills, any jobs you view will appear here.
You haven’t saved any jobs yet, but when you find an opportunity that seems right for you, bookmark it so you can return to it easily.
As you explore and apply to career opportunities with Duke Health, we want to alert you of possible fraudulent scams and phishing schemes targeted at job seekers. Duke Health will never ask for any financial contribution or to provide sensitive personal information outside of our application and background check process.