Duke Health requires team members to receive the COVID-19 and influenza vaccines. After you have officially accepted a position at Duke Health, you may request a religious or medical accommodation.
Certified Medical Assistant, Hybrid in NC, Patient Engagement Center-Part-Time
Duke Primary Care Duke Primary Care is a broad network of community-based clinics that offer family medicine, internal medicine, pediatric, and urgent care services. With 400 providers in nearly 50 locations, Duke Primary Care is the largest primary care network in the greater Triangle. Our network saw more than 750,000 patient encounters in fiscal year 2021.
Our Duke Primary Care clinics provide personalized care for adults and children, from sick visits to preventive care, health screenings to immunizations, and annual exams to chronic disease management. Select primary care clinics also provide behavioral health, diabetes education, pharmacy, and other population health services. Duke Primary Care clinics are accredited and designated a Primary Care Medical Home by The Joint Commission.
Our Duke Urgent Care centers offer evaluation and treatment for minor illnesses and injuries 12 hours a day, seven days a week when a patientâ€™s primary care provider is not available. Services also include certain physical exams and vaccinations. A pediatric specialist is available at select locations. Patients can walk in to one of our nine urgent care centers located throughout the greater Triangle or can schedule a virtual visit to receive care from the comfort of home.
Duke Nursing Highlights:
- Duke University Health System is designated as a Magnet organization
- Nurses from each hospital areconsistently recognized each year as North Carolina's Great 100 Nurses.
- Duke University Health System was awarded the American Board of Nursing Specialties Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy for being strong advocates of specialty nursing certification.
- Duke University Health System has 6000 + registered nurses
- Quality of Life: Living in the Triangle!
- Relocation Assistance (based on eligibility)
The Duke Primary Care - Patient Engagement Center ( PEC) -Hybrid in NC, PART-TIME, seeks to hire a Certified Medical Assistant who will embrace our mission of Advancing Health Together!
The Medical Assistant, Certified functions as an integral member of the interdisciplinary healthcare team in providing direct patient care. The Medical Assistant certified performs routine administrative and patient care supportive duties in a Health System Medical practice that assists medical and/or nursing staff in the examination and treatment of patients and ensures the clinic/office runs smoothly.
Location/Schedule : 14 Moore Drive Research Triangle Park, NC 27709 (This position can be remote after the 90 day probationary period as long as metrics are completed successful).
- The CMA takes medical histories and records vital signs, explains treatment procedures to patients, and prepares patients for examinations and procedures.
- Patient care support responsibilities may include assisting the medical and nursing staff during examination and procedures, collecting and preparing laboratory specimens, performing basic laboratory tests in the clinic/office, taking electrocardiograms, removing sutures/ staples, changing sterile and non-sterile dressings, promoting patient/family understanding of the educational content and his/her involvement in the plan of care, and documenting in the patient record.
- Other clinical support responsibilities include disposing of contaminated supplies, instrument processing, high-level disinfection and sterilization of medical instruments, telephoning prescriptions to a pharmacy, preparing and administering medications as directed by the physician, and authorizing drug refills as directed.
- Performs other clinical functions as delegated and supervised by the physician.
- The CMA greets patients, answers telephones, schedules appointments to include arrival appointments in Maestro Care, checks out patients, and referral scheduling; arranges for hospital admissions and laboratory services, updates and files patient medical records, fills out forms, handles billing, bookkeeping to include receiving copays and collections on account balances; correspondence, and ordering clinical d clerical supplies and forms.
- Performs other administrative duties as directed. May be requested to be a liaison for clinic activities such as Join commission and falls and/or participate in clinic committees.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Good customer service skills. Work requires the ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions generally acquired through a high school education and medical assistant programming.
- Heavy lifting and the ability to transport stretcher and wheelchair patients may be required.
- Working knowledge of sterile techniques and special procedures that are applicable to work performed.
- Working knowledge of procedures and techniques involved in administering routine and special treatments to patients.
- Working knowledge of sanitation, personal hygiene, and basic health and safety precautions applicable for work in a clinic setting.
- Working knowledge of infection control procedures and safety precautions. Age-specific competencies.
- Daily clinic preparation process; registration, scheduling, charge posting, order entry.
- Able to document and communicate pertinent information ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients and clinical staff.
- Typing skill. Medical terminology levels II and III -- Ability to independently seek out resources and work collaboratively
- Level I -- Graduation from an accredited Medical Assistant program is strongly preferred. High school or GED graduation is required.
- Level II -- Graduation from a medical assistant program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) or the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES) is strongly preferred. High school or GED graduation is required.
- Level III -- Graduation from a medical assistant program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) or the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES) is strongly preferred. High school or GED graduation is required.
- Level I -- No experience required.
- Level II -- Must have at least 1 year of clinical experience as a Medical Assistant in a clinical setting.
- Level III -- Must have at least3 years of clinical experience as a Medical Assistant in a clinical setting. Note: 1 year of experience will be provided for an Associate degree in Medical Assisting. General Ladder Statement: In addition to the education and experience noted, applicants must meet all requirements set forth in the Medical Assistant, Certified (CMA/RMA) Ladder Program document for Levels II and III.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications:
- Level I -- Certification by AAMA, AMT, NHA-CCMA, NCMA or ARMA required. BLS required.
- Level II -- Certification by AAMA, AMT, NHA-CCMA, NCMA or ARMA required. BLS required.
- Level III -- Certification by AAMA, AMT, NHA-CCMA, NCMA or ARMA required. BLS required.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Jobs For You
As you search for opportunities that fit your skills, any jobs you view will appear here.
You haven’t saved any jobs yet, but when you find an opportunity that seems right for you, bookmark it so you can return to it easily.
As you explore and apply to career opportunities with Duke Health, we want to alert you of possible fraudulent scams and phishing schemes targeted at job seekers. Duke Health will never ask for any financial contribution or to provide sensitive personal information outside of our application and background check process.