Duke Health requires team members to receive the COVID-19 and influenza vaccines. After you have officially accepted a position at Duke Health, you may request a religious or medical accommodation.
Clinical Pharmacist-Inpatient Operations Pharmacy (Part-Time)
Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 957 inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 51 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; an Ambulatory Surgery Center with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area. In fiscal year 2018, Duke University Hospital admitted 42,916 patients and had 1,085,740 outpatient visits in fiscal year 2017.
U.S News & World Report named Duke University Hospital #1 in North Carolina and #1 in the Raleigh-Durham area in 2018-19.
Duke University Hospital is ranked in the top 20 nationally for seven adult specialties, including cardiology and heart surgery, nephrology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology, rheumatology, and urology.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
Duke Hospital (Inpatient Operations) Durham, North Carolina
Rotating 1st (06:30am-3:00pm) and 2nd (3:00pm-11:30pm).
Provide pharmaceutical care services to the patients of the Duke University Health System including, but not limited to oversight, monitoring, preparation, dispensing and proper documentation of patient medication therapy as well as providing drug information, patient information and oversight of information and dispensing systems; ensure compliance with Federal, State and local laws and regulations as well as proper storage and documentation. May also advise physicians on matters pertaining to drug usage and control; participate in the development and delivery of continuing education programs for Pharmacy, Patient Care Services, Medical Staff and students.
- Review and monitor patient's medication therapy and orders written by appropriate caregivers for safety and efficacy considering specific patient conditions and health status; advise patient care team of issues with, or possible enhancements to, patient's medication therapy and document such interventions. Prepare, label and dispense medications for patients in accordance with physicians' prescriptions; ensure compliance with Federal, State and local laws and regulations pertaining to the dispensing of drugs and narcotics and the maintenance of required records.
- Maintain appropriate records of dispensing and oversee and maintain the systems that charge or credit for medications and medication treatments.
- Provide drug information and educate caregivers, patients and students regarding medications and their proper use and monitoring. Oversee and monitor all aspects of the medication process; collect data and present reports and recommendations regarding issues with the medication systems.
- Ensure that appropriate medications are available for patients and properly procured, prepared, stored and maintained.
- Supervise the process and technical personnel who assist in preparation, maintenance and dispensing of drugs and supplies.
- Provide support, education and oversight for investigational medications for patients; provide information regarding their preparation, labeling and availability within the medication system; maintain appropriate and required records and documentation for investigational drugs.
- Provide specialized pharmaceutical services to improve drug usage and therapeutic outcomes including advising physicians on issues concerning drug therapy, the inherent toxicity of drugs and side effects, as well as assisting in the prescription of appropriate doses.
- Contributes to the education of students and pharmacy residents.
- Maintain liaison relationships with medical and nursing staff; provide timely information pertaining to pharmaceutical supplies, drug usage and compatibility, state and federal regulations regarding drug controls, and Joint Commission standards.
- Conduct and evaluate medication histories, assess compliance and suggest modifications so as to achieve desired outcomes; instruct patients in the proper use of prescribed drugs; participate in patient care rounds with multidisciplinary teams to evaluate patient progress.
- Individualize medication regimens using sound principles, accounting for pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic variations in drug absorption, distribution, metabolism and elimination with responsibility for establishing and continually improving the delivery of pharmaceutical care to patients within areas of direct responsibility and assisting others in the department with the same.
- Conduct and participate in research including, but not limited to, performing as the primary investigator or co-investigator for research programs which will impact on the delivery of quality care or examine the pharmacoeconomic impact of providing care to the patients in the Duke Health System.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate clearly in oral and written form.
- Extensive knowledge of drug products, medical therapeutics, pharmacokinetics, and disease states.
- Ability to work with information systems, automated and technical equipment.
- Ability to establish and maintain working relationships with various members of health care teams
Doctor of Pharmacy Degree OR BS Pharmacy Degree
With a BS Pharmacy degree, two years of pharmacy practice experience, or acceptable board certification, or completion of an accredited residency program and demonstrated ability to achieve positive patient outcomes in a similar environment is required. With Doctor of Pharmacy degree, no experience is required.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Licensed Pharmacist or eligible to practice pharmacy in North Carolina
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Registered Nurse (Experienced RN) On-Call Night Shift HomeCare, Hospice and Infusion Services
DUKE HOMECARE AND HOSPICE Full Time
Nursing Care Assistant II-Hospice Inpatient Unit-Night Shift-Weekend Option
DUKE HOMECARE AND HOSPICE Part Time
Nursing Care Assistant II (Experience NCA II) Inpatient Hospice Unit-Night Shift
DUKE HOMECARE AND HOSPICE Full Time
Recently Viewed Jobs
- You don't have recently reviewed jobs yet.
Jobs For You
Clinical Pharmacist - Duke Children's Hospital (PRN)
DUKE HOSPITAL PRN (Per Diem) Durham, North Carolina
Pharmacy Technician II - Patient Assistance Program and Prior Authorizations (Full-Time)
DUKE HOSPITAL Full Time Durham, North Carolina
Pharmacy Technician I/II - Duke Compounding Facility (Full-Time / Evening Shift)
DUKE HOSPITAL Full Time Durham, North Carolina
As you search for opportunities that fit your skills, any jobs you view will appear here.
You haven’t saved any jobs yet, but when you find an opportunity that seems right for you, bookmark it so you can return to it easily.