Duke Health requires team members to receive the COVID-19 and influenza vaccines. After you have officially accepted a position at Duke Health, you may request a religious or medical accommodation.
Medical Interpreter - DUH - Part-time
Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research.
Duke University Hospital has 1,048 licensed inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 65 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; a separate hospital outpatient surgical department with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area.
For 2021-2022, U.S. News and World Report ranked Duke University Hospital nationally in 11 adult specialties: cancer, cardiology & heart surgery, diabetes & endocrinology, ear, nose & throat, gastroenterology & GI surgery, gynecology, neurology & neurosurgery, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology & lung surgery, and urology.
Duke University Hospital is also ranked first in North Carolina and first in the Raleigh-Durham area.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
Perform a variety of interpretation, translation and Medical escort services to assist non-English speaking patients receiving care within the Duke Health System.
- Participate as a neutral party in the role as conduit of information incidental to the work described herein.
- Perform other related duties database. that must flow between Duke staff and the International or Domestic patient/visitors.
- Ensure that information pertaining to the patient's outpatient services, hospitalization, (i.e. advance directives, consents from treatment, diagnosis and prognosis, treatment plan, follow-up appointments and Health Care Education) are accurately communicated.
- The patient's questions/concerns regarding this information is to be appropriately addressed and documented per Risk Management Directives.
- Provide interpreter services, and convey the exact message as opposed to summarizing the information in a way that is subjective.
- Provide required documentation as identified by the International Patient Center. Maintain accurate daily records on all requests for service as well as the provision of services.
- Maintain accurate and timely documentation within program Promote customer satisfaction related to Duke services; notify Supervisor of any issues that may be problematic for patients or Duke staff. Participate in continuing education programs and competency training to enhance professional role of International Medical escort.
- Ensure that all policies and procedures related to process, service, and employee work rules are followed.
- Maintain confidentiality in all matters related to patient care and visitor issues on non-English speaking patients/families/escorts. Participate in on call coverage to provide interpretation/translation services during non-business hours and business hours as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Ability to work with diverse populations from various economical backgrounds and age group. Ability to work as an effective member of a dedicated team. Ability to work in a fast paced Health Care environment with a variety of customer service needs. Accurate and appropriate interpretation skills at all times. Current N.C. Drivers License with driving record suitable to Duke Van operations and corporate risk management.
High-School Diploma or equivalent~Successful completion of conversation/translation competency testing in secondary language Knowledge of Medical Terminology~
Previous experience in a Health Care setting preferred
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Jobs For You
As you search for opportunities that fit your skills, any jobs you view will appear here.
You haven’t saved any jobs yet, but when you find an opportunity that seems right for you, bookmark it so you can return to it easily.
As you explore and apply to career opportunities with Duke Health, we want to alert you of possible fraudulent scams and phishing schemes targeted at job seekers. Duke Health will never ask for any financial contribution or to provide sensitive personal information outside of our application and background check process.