Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant Family Medicine Center
As a part of Duke Health’s outpatient clinic network, you will enjoy competitive compensation, comprehensive benefits plans, convenient work hours, and many opportunities for career advancement. Become a part of a team that values and invests in you.
Duke Advanced Practice Highlights:
- The nation’s first Physician Assistant Program was created at Duke in 1965 and is consistently ranked No. 1 in the country.
- The Duke School of Nursing is consistently ranked as one of the top nursing schools and their MSN and DNP programs offers eight advanced practice registered nurse majors and specialty certifications, as well as post master’s certificates and certification alignment programs.
- Commitment to ongoing learning for APPs through annual CME funding and access to high-quality Duke CME offerings including APP Grand Rounds and a professional advancement program. APPs are leaders in multiple arenas within Duke.
- Duke offers APPs opportunities to practice within team based integrative care in a tremendous variety of specialties. APPs are expected to work to top of scope in order to contribute to Duke’s missions which include clinical practice, education, and research.
- Practice locations can include Duke Health’s three hospitals or over 140 primary care and specialty care clinics throughout North Carolina.
Duke Family Medicine Center – 2100 Erwin Road – Durham NC
Duke Regional Hospital – 3643 N. Roxboro Street – Durham NC
We are seeking an Advanced Practice Provider (Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant) for our Duke Family Medicine Center in Durham to provide to provide acute, chronic, preventive, prenatal and newborn care for new and established patients of all ages in a primary care setting and as well as possible rotations at theDuke Regional Hospital Newborn Nursery. The clinic has a long track record of working with APPs who offer full-scope primary care in an environment that values collaboration and innovation.
Primary hours will be Monday through Friday with hours flexible to meet the needs of the patients.
- Primary care of complex undifferentiated patients (all age groups), acute and chronic illnesses in person and virtually as necessary)
- Health maintenance examinations on patients of all ages
- Care for newborns at Durham Regional Hospital
- Opportunity to participate in an “e-provider” virtual clinic (an acute care experience where patients need quick access to answers of low-risk medical conditions
- Care for a group of patients assigned to them (panel)
- Conduct detailed medical history assessment
- Conduct physical exams
- Medication reconciliation
- Order diagnostic testing (e.g., lab work, EKG, cardiac echo, imaging procedures, etc.) when indicated
- Coordinate specialty referrals as indicated
- Provide consultation to patient and/or family to include necessity, prep, nature and effects of ordered diagnostic and therapeutic procedures.
- Provide patient and/or family education regarding diabetes, nutrition, smoking cessation, pain management, etc.
- Follow up on ordered laboratory studies, diagnostic procedures, etc.
- Prescribe treatment or medication when indicated.
- Document all activity in patient’s electronic medical record to include comments about diagnosis and prognosis, diagnostic testing, patient condition, treatments and response to therapies and interventions, etc.
- Participate in clinic research activities if needed.
- Perform telehealth visits if needed
- Work with a supervising physician, other providers and colleagues in the practice
- Perform any other related duties required to service primary care scheduled or walk-in patients
- BLS required.
- Nurse Practitioners: Must have current or compact RN licensure in the state of North Carolina. BLS required. National certification as a NP required prior to or within 6 months of employment.
- Physician Assistants: Must be licensed in the state of NC, and be certified as a Physician Health. The position requires the candidate to have current DEA licensure.
- 1+ years APP experience in a primary care setting is preferred
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Explore Duke Health Integrated Practice
Want to see where you’d be working? Check out this location and everything it has to offer you.
Serving With Purpose
You’ve always been called to care – and we share your dedication to making a meaningful difference in the community. With the entire team united through this purpose, there are no limits to what we can achieve together. You’ll have all the resources you need here to leave a legacy of exceptional service because at Duke Health we support you in your calling to care.
Awards and Recognition
Duke Health is consistently recognized as a top employer for our dedication to the team members and the patients we serve.
On Forbes list of Best Large Employers, we are the #1 healthcare recipient in North Carolina for 2023.
Our hospitals are consistently recognized as LGBTQ Healthcare Equality Leaders by Healthcare Equality Index.
We are among about 9 percent of U.S. hospitals that hold the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Magnet Recognition honor.
CHIME Digital Health Most Wired recipient since 2018, honoring our ability to elevate the health and care of communities around the world.
We are proud to be named as the #1 healthcare system in North Carolina on Fortune’s America’s Most Innovative Companies 2023 list.
Jobs For You
As you search for opportunities that fit your skills, any jobs you view will appear here.
You haven’t saved any jobs yet, but when you find an opportunity that seems right for you, bookmark it so you can return to it easily.
More About Duke Health
Upcoming Hiring Events
Check out our calendar of events to stay up-to-date on information sessions, webinars, and other events featuring new opportunities at Duke Health.
Benefits You’ll Love
We want to make your life better both in and out of work. That’s why we offer comprehensive benefits and unique perks that cater to you and your family.
What We Stand For
Our values define the work we do. Team members here share in these values, creating a community that is connected in purpose and committed to excellence.
With hospitals in Raleigh and Durham and over 140 specialty and primary care clinics around the Triangle region, there are many options to join Duke Health in the city and the suburbs.