Duke Health requires team members to receive the COVID-19 and influenza vaccines. After you have officially accepted a position at Duke Health, you may request a religious or medical accommodation.
Physician Assistant/Nurse Practitioner - Duke Emergency Medicine
As a part of Duke Health’s outpatient clinic network, you will enjoy competitive compensation, comprehensive benefits plans, convenient work hours, and many opportunities for career advancement. Become a part of a team that values and invests in you.
Duke Advanced Practice Highlights:
- The nation’s first Physician Assistant Program was created at Duke in 1965 and is consistently ranked No. 1 in the country.
- The Duke School of Nursing is consistently ranked as one of the top nursing schools and their MSN and DNP programs offers eight advanced practice registered nurse majors and specialty certifications, as well as post master’s certificates and certification alignment programs.
- Commitment to ongoing learning for APPs through annual CME funding and access to high-quality Duke CME offerings including APP Grand Rounds and a professional advancement program. APPs are leaders in multiple arenas within Duke.
- Duke offers APPs opportunities to practice within team based integrative care in a tremendous variety of specialties. APPs are expected to work to top of scope in order to contribute to Duke’s missions which include clinical practice, education, and research.
- Practice locations can include Duke Health’s three hospitals or over 140 primary care and specialty care clinics throughout North Carolina.
Duke Hospital, 2301 Erwin Road, Durham, NC
We are seeking Advanced Practice Providers in Durham, NC for Duke Emergency Medicine, which serves as a tertiary care center and Level 1 Trauma Center to patients in North Carolina and surrounding states. The Emergency Department at Duke University Hospital is comprised an 18 bed Pediatric ED, three adult care areas, two fully equipped x-ray rooms and two state of the art dedicated CT scanners, a 7,000 square foot ambulance bay, 8 bed psychiatric emergency unit, and an 11 bed clinical evaluation unit. Our team is active in delivering exemplary care for each patient to ensure an excellent patient experience, every time.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- In collaboration with attending physician(s), provides direct clinical services for critically ill patients according to established protocols and utilizing evidence-based clinical practice standards.
- Performs triage, physical exams, collects and documents data, conducts diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, orders and schedules laboratory studies, diagnostic procedures and professional consultations, prescribes appropriate interventions and medications, coordinates the care of patients, and provides direct patient care services.
- Formulates and implements treatment plans for acute illness management in collaboration with the attending physician(s).
- Analyzes clinical practice patterns so to provide the best medical care and to increase effectiveness and efficiency.
- Communicates verbally and in writing all pertinent patient information to supervising MD, nursing staff, patient resource manager, home health agency, and other relevant healthcare providers.
- Provides timely documentation in the electronic medical record of all relevant data including results of diagnostic tests; laboratory results; patients’ condition and response to therapies/interventions; communications with physician colleagues.
- Contributes to excellence in patient care, teaching, consulting, and provides leadership to the organization and to the Physician Assistant profession.
Job Eligibility Requirements
- Nurse Practitioners: Work requires completion of an accredited Nurse Practitioner program, with a Master's degree in Nursing.
- Physician Assistants: Completion of an accredited Physician Assistant program. A Bachelor's degree required; Master's degree strongly preferred.
BLS certification required.
- Nurse Practitioners: Must have current or compact RN licensure in the state of North Carolina. BLS required. National certification as a NP required prior to or within 6 months of employment.
- Physician Assistants: Must be licensed in the state of NC, and be certified as a Physician Assistant by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants.
Candidates must have at least two years of advanced practice EM experience or have completed a residency/fellowship in Emergency Medicine.
A variety of scheduling options are available including 8 or 12 hour shifts for day and evening shifts as well as nocturnist opportunities.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Jobs For You
As you search for opportunities that fit your skills, any jobs you view will appear here.
You haven’t saved any jobs yet, but when you find an opportunity that seems right for you, bookmark it so you can return to it easily.
As you explore and apply to career opportunities with Duke Health, we want to alert you of possible fraudulent scams and phishing schemes targeted at job seekers. Duke Health will never ask for any financial contribution or to provide sensitive personal information outside of our application and background check process.