Registered Nurse (RN) - General & Trauma Services Clinic 2B2C - Duke University Hospital
At Duke Health, we're driven by a commitment to compassionate care that changes the lives of patients, their loved ones, and the greater community. No matter where your talents lie, join us and discover how we can advance health together.
About Duke University Hospital
Pursue your passion for caring with Duke University Hospital in Durham, North Carolina, which is consistently ranked among the best in the United States and is the number one hospital in North Carolina, according to U.S. News and World Report for 2023-2024. Duke University Hospital is the largest of Duke Health's three hospitals and features 1048 patient beds, 65 operating rooms, as well as comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center, an endo-surgery center, and more.
General & Trauma Services Clinic 2B2C Outpatient Clinic at Duke University Hospital seeks to hire an experienced Registerd Nurse who embrace our mission of Advancing Health Together
The trauma and critical care surgeons at this clinic provide care to people who experience complex abdominal problems, including medical emergencies such as appendicitis, bowel obstructions, or gallbladder flare ups. Emergencies may also include other traumas, such as wounds.
Duke Clinic,40 Duke Medicine Cir, Clinic 2B/2C, Durham, NC
- Plan and provide professional nursing care for patients in accordance with the scope of the RN as defined by the North Carolina Board of Nursing
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
- Assist other nursing personnel in the delivery of nursing care and act
- Assist in the development and implementation of general policies and responses.
- Provide direction and guidance in the proper use, care and control of as assigned with physician orders and established policies and procedures to include collecting and analyzing patient data, developing and implementing nursing care plans, establishing interpersonal relationships with patients, evaluating nursing care given and communicating to proper personnel relevant facts about patients, action taken and patient as team leader or charge nurse for a group of patients or an entire unit material resources; appraise quality and effectiveness of material and equipment and report results to head nurse; maintain standards of cleanliness in assigned areas.
- Observe activities of nursing staff and make recommendations to nursing management for improvement in the quality and effectiveness of nursing care given procedures designed to effect efficiency of operations.
Required Qualifications at this Level.
- Work requires graduation from an accredited BSN program.
- Exception: Registered nurses hired between July 1, 2014, and April 11, 2021, without a bachelor’s degree in nursing (or higher) are encouraged to enroll in an appropriate BSN program within two years of their start date but must complete the program within five years of their start date. Registered nurses hired before July 1, 2014, are not required to enroll in a BSN program to remain in this job classification.
- No experience required
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification
- Must have current or compact RN licensure in the state of North Carolina.
- Nurses hired at Duke Health with a valid compact license are required to obtain their North Carolina nursing license within 90 days of their start date.
- BLS required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of scope of the registered nurse, licensed practical nurse and NCA
- Knowledge of and appropriate application of the nursing process
- Knowledge of professional theory, practice, and procedure
- Ability to assess nursing needs of acute and chronically ill patients and their families.
- Ability to independently seek out resources and work collaboratively.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to communicate clearly with patients, families, visitors, healthcare team, physicians, administrators, leadership and others.
- Ability to teach patients and families in accordance with the nursing plan of care.
- Ability to use sensory and cognitive functions to process and prioritize information, treatment, and follow-up.
- Ability to document and communicate pertinent information using computer and/or paper documentation tools Ability to use fine motor skills.
- Competent in BLS and/or other specialized life support requirements designated by work area or organization.
- Ability to record activities, document assessments, plan of care, interventions, evaluation and re-evaluation of patient status.
- Ability to use computer and learn new software programs.
- Ability to navigate the entity to provide clinical care for patients.
- Ability to withstand prolonged standing and walking.
- Ability to remain focused and organized.
- Working knowledge of procedures and techniques involved in administering routine and special treatments to patients.
- Working knowledge of infection control procedures and safety precautions
- Working knowledge and completion of appropriate JCAHO and other regulatory requirements
- Pre-employment Physical Capacity Testing Required
Distinguishing Characteristics of this Level
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Explore Duke University Hospital
Want to see where you’d be working? Check out this location and everything it has to offer you.
Serving With Purpose
You’ve always been called to care – and we share your dedication to making a meaningful difference in the community. With the entire team united through this purpose, there are no limits to what we can achieve together. You’ll have all the resources you need here to leave a legacy of exceptional service because at Duke Health we support you in your calling to care.
Awards and Recognition
Duke Health is consistently recognized as a top employer for our dedication to the team members and the patients we serve.
On Forbes list of Best Large Employers, we are the #1 healthcare recipient in North Carolina for 2023.
Our hospitals are consistently recognized as LGBTQ Healthcare Equality Leaders by Healthcare Equality Index.
We are among about 9 percent of U.S. hospitals that hold the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Magnet Recognition honor.
CHIME Digital Health Most Wired recipient since 2018, honoring our ability to elevate the health and care of communities around the world.
We are proud to be named as the #1 healthcare system in North Carolina on Fortune’s America’s Most Innovative Companies 2023 list.
Jobs For You
As you search for opportunities that fit your skills, any jobs you view will appear here.
You haven’t saved any jobs yet, but when you find an opportunity that seems right for you, bookmark it so you can return to it easily.
More About Duke Health
Upcoming Hiring Events
Check out our calendar of events to stay up-to-date on information sessions, webinars, and other events featuring new opportunities at Duke Health.
Benefits You’ll Love
We want to make your life better both in and out of work. That’s why we offer comprehensive benefits and unique perks that cater to you and your family.
What We Stand For
Our values define the work we do. Team members here share in these values, creating a community that is connected in purpose and committed to excellence.
With hospitals in Raleigh and Durham and over 140 specialty and primary care clinics around the Triangle region, there are many options to join Duke Health in the city and the suburbs.