Respiratory Therapist (Adult) - Duke University Hospital
At Duke Health, we're driven by a commitment to compassionate care that changes the lives of patients, their loved ones, and the greater community. No matter where your talents lie, join us and discover how we can advance health together.
About Duke University Hospital
Pursue your passion for caring with Duke University Hospital in Durham, North Carolina, which is consistently ranked among the best in the United States and is the number one hospital in North Carolina, according to U.S. News and World Report for 2023-2024. Duke University Hospital is the largest of Duke Health's three hospitals and features 1048 patient beds, 65 operating rooms, as well as comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center, an endo-surgery center, and more.
*$15,000 Commitment Bonus if eligible*
*Up to $8,000 Relocation allowance if eligible*
******May apply if currently enrolled in an AMA approved Respiratory Care Program, and registry eligible (Must meet education and licensure requirements before hire date)
Perform diagnostic and therapeutic clinical procedures as defined in the Respiratory Care Services scope of clinical practice. Work performed in accordance with physician orders. Defined duties are performed in neonatal and pediatric patient populations.
Duties and responsibilities
- Administer oxygen, aerosolized medication via Intermittent Positive Pressure Breathing ( IPPB), Intermittent Aerosol Therapy (IAT) and Metered Dose Inhaler ( MDI) and incentive breathing devices.
- Perform nasotracheal and artificial airway suctioning, CPR and bag- mask ventilation, pulse oximetry monitoring, arterial blood gas punctures and bedside pulmonary mechanics.
- Diagnostic cardiopulmonary procedures, pulmonary function studies, EKGs and cardiac monitoring.
- Assure correct set-up, safety and function of all equipment/ supplies necessary in the provision of patient care.
- Assure adherence to all infectious disease standards in the delivery of all patient care procedures.
- Understands pharmacological indications, dosages and response to adverse drug reactions.
- Provides education to patients, families, physicians, nursing and other members of the health care team.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Required Qualifications at this Level
- Completion of AMA 2 approved year Associates Degree, or the equivalent program.
- Completion of a 2 year AMA approved respiratory care program (Associates Degree or the equivalent).
- Must maintain annual skill maintenance requirements Must maintain annual safety/compliance requirements
- Must maintain North Carolina annual license requirements for CEUs
- None required
- Six months to one year of clinical experience following graduation from a respiratory care program.
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification
- North Carolina State Licensure or North Carolina State Provisional License, Certification by the National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC).
- If CRT, must obtain RRT within 6 months of employment
- Certification in Basic Life Support (BLS), and any other applicable certifications applicable to the institution.
- North Carolina State Licensure
- Registry ( RRT) by the National Association for Respiratory Care (NBRC)
- Certification in Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Certification in Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) Certification in Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
- Certification in Neonatal Resuscitation (NRPS) if applicable to institution
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge necessary to make appropriate clinical decisions and interactions relative to the specific age of a patient.
- Skills validation/certifications of competencies for the duties and responsibilities of this level.
- Must maintain annual skill and safety/compliance requirements
- Must maintain North Carolina annual license requirements for CEU's
- Customer service and communication expertise.
- Work involves contact with patients of all ages, family members, physicians, nursing, and all other members of the health care team.
- Work is performed in all areas of the hospital.
- Required to carry emergency airway bag weighing approximately 20 pounds.
- Work requires walking, running, climbing and bending.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Explore Duke University Hospital
Want to see where you’d be working? Check out this location and everything it has to offer you.
Serving With Purpose
You’ve always been called to care – and we share your dedication to making a meaningful difference in the community. With the entire team united through this purpose, there are no limits to what we can achieve together. You’ll have all the resources you need here to leave a legacy of exceptional service because at Duke Health we support you in your calling to care.
Awards and Recognition
Duke Health is consistently recognized as a top employer for our dedication to the team members and the patients we serve.
On Forbes list of Best Large Employers, we are the #1 healthcare recipient in North Carolina for 2023.
Our hospitals are consistently recognized as LGBTQ Healthcare Equality Leaders by Healthcare Equality Index.
We are among about 9 percent of U.S. hospitals that hold the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Magnet Recognition honor.
CHIME Digital Health Most Wired recipient since 2018, honoring our ability to elevate the health and care of communities around the world.
We are proud to be named as the #1 healthcare system in North Carolina on Fortune’s America’s Most Innovative Companies 2023 list.
Jobs For You
As you search for opportunities that fit your skills, any jobs you view will appear here.
You haven’t saved any jobs yet, but when you find an opportunity that seems right for you, bookmark it so you can return to it easily.
More About Duke Health
Upcoming Hiring Events
Check out our calendar of events to stay up-to-date on information sessions, webinars, and other events featuring new opportunities at Duke Health.
Benefits You’ll Love
We want to make your life better both in and out of work. That’s why we offer comprehensive benefits and unique perks that cater to you and your family.
What We Stand For
Our values define the work we do. Team members here share in these values, creating a community that is connected in purpose and committed to excellence.
With hospitals in Raleigh and Durham and over 140 specialty and primary care clinics around the Triangle region, there are many options to join Duke Health in the city and the suburbs.