Duke Health requires team members to receive the COVID-19 and influenza vaccines. After you have officially accepted a position at Duke Health, you may request a religious or medical accommodation.
Trauma/Acute Care Surgery APP - Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner
Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 1,048 licensed inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 65 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; a separate hospital outpatient surgical department with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area. For 2021-2022, U.S. News and World Report ranked Duke University Hospital nationally in 11 adult specialties: cancer, cardiology & heart surgery, diabetes & endocrinology, ear, nose & throat, gastroenterology & GI surgery, gynecology, neurology & neurosurgery, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology & lung surgery, and urology. Duke University Hospital is also ranked first in North Carolina and first in the Raleigh-Durham area.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
Trauma / Acute Care Surgery (ACS) Advanced Practice Provider
Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner
Job Location Duke University Hospital
The Trauma / ACS Team Inpatient Advanced Practice Provider (APP) provides direct patient care services and performs medical acts under the supervision of the supervisory physician to patients on the ACS service, consulted ACS/, trauma and consult trauma patients at DUH. The APP performs physical exams, collects and documents data, conducts diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, orders and schedules laboratory studies radiologic and professional consultations, prescribes appropriate interventions and medications, coordinates the care and discharge of patients and provides direct care to the patients on the ACS and trauma services. The Trauma / ACS APP contributes to excellence in patient care, research, teaching, and provides leadership to the organization. Based on the needs of the service the APPs may have responsibilities in the operating room as first or second assist (rare).
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Daily inpatient rounding on primary and consult teams
- Assist with daily notes
- Take first call on primary trauma and ACS patients
- Review and order diagnostic and lab studies
- Patient and Family education
- Provides continuity of care by working collaboratively with the multi-disciplinary teams
- Staff new consults for trauma and ACS at DUH
- Assist with admissions
- Perform discharges
- Perform/Assist with Level 3 Trauma Activations
- Perform/Assist with Tertiary Exams
- Manage/Change/Apply wound vacs
- Assist in maintaining and improving Quality Metrics
- Provide collaborative and cost-effective care.
- Assist in operating room (rare)
- No outpatient coverage currently.
- Outpatient follow up clinic could be incorporated into this clinical role in the future.
Physical and mental requirements:
- Able to clearly articulate scope of practice, and practices within those guidelines as an APP in the state of North Carolina and within the Duke University Health System.
- Able to independently seek out resources and work collaboratively to solve complex problems
- Able to communicate clearly with patients, families, visitors, healthcare team, physicians, administrators, leadership, and others.
- Able to use sensory and cognitive functions to process and prioritize information, perform health assessments, treatment, and follow-up.
- Able to use fine motor skills
- Able to record activities, document assessments & interventions; prepare reports and presentations;
- Able to use computer and learn new software programs
- Able to provide leadership in clinical area of expertise and in meeting organizational goals
- Able to navigate the Hospital and DUHS to provide clinical expertise to specific patient populations
- Able to withstand prolonged standing and walking with the ability to move or lift at least fifty pounds
- Able to remain focused and organized
- Able to work collaboratively with all levels of personnel
Job Eligibility Requirements
NP: Graduate of accredited MSN or DNP Acute Care Nurse Practitioner program for adults.
PA: Graduate of ARC accredited Physician Assistant program. Master’s Degree Preferred.
NP: Acute Care Nurse Practitioner for adults (ACNP or AGACNP)
NP: Current uninhibited RN licensure issued by NCBON with authorization to practice as a NP
PA: Current uninhibited license issued by NCMB with authorization to practice as a PA
NP: Minimum of 2 years’ experience in the clinical care of trauma or general surgery. Strongly prefer candidate with at least one year of experience as a NP in similar setting.
PA: One or more years as a Physician Assistant in the clinical care of trauma or general surgery strongly preferred but not required.
The schedule will be 14 (fourteen) 12 (twelve) hour shifts per month. The APPs, along with the Division Chief, will develop a schedule that is mutually amenable. Schedule may be changed by administrative or clinical leadership to meet department needs.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Jobs For You
As you search for opportunities that fit your skills, any jobs you view will appear here.
You haven’t saved any jobs yet, but when you find an opportunity that seems right for you, bookmark it so you can return to it easily.
As you explore and apply to career opportunities with Duke Health, we want to alert you of possible fraudulent scams and phishing schemes targeted at job seekers. Duke Health will never ask for any financial contribution or to provide sensitive personal information outside of our application and background check process.