Duke Health requires team members to receive the COVID-19 and influenza vaccines. After you have officially accepted a position at Duke Health, you may request a religious or medical accommodation.
Urgent Care APP / Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant
Duke Primary Care Duke Primary Care is a broad network of community-based clinics that offer family medicine, internal medicine, pediatric, and urgent care services. With 400 providers in nearly 50 locations, Duke Primary Care is the largest primary care network in the greater Triangle. Our network saw more than 750,000 patient encounters in fiscal year 2021.
Our Duke Primary Care clinics provide personalized care for adults and children, from sick visits to preventive care, health screenings to immunizations, and annual exams to chronic disease management. Select primary care clinics also provide behavioral health, diabetes education, pharmacy, and other population health services. Duke Primary Care clinics are accredited and designated a Primary Care Medical Home by The Joint Commission.
Our Duke Urgent Care centers offer evaluation and treatment for minor illnesses and injuries 12 hours a day, seven days a week when a patientâ€™s primary care provider is not available. Services also include certain physical exams and vaccinations. A pediatric specialist is available at select locations. Patients can walk in to one of our nine urgent care centers located throughout the greater Triangle or can schedule a virtual visit to receive care from the comfort of home.
Duke Nursing Highlights:
- Duke University Health System is designated as a Magnet organization
- Nurses from each hospital are consistently recognized each year as North Carolina's Great 100 Nurses.
- Duke University Health System was awarded the American Board of Nursing Specialties Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy for being strong advocates of specialty nursing certification.
- Duke University Health System has 6000 + registered nurses
- Quality of Life: Living in the Triangle!
- Relocation Assistance!
Urgent Care APP – Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner
Job Location - Multiple locations available
The Urgent Care (UC) Advanced Practice Provider, (APP), Physician Assistant (PA) or Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP), is part of an interdisciplinary team and responsible for treating patients of all ages in an urgent care setting. The UC APP is responsible for examining and treating episodic illnesses, minor injuries and work-related health problems, as well as performing specialized occupational health exams (including Department of Transportation (DOT) and other fitness for duty exams).
Job Duties and Responsibitlities
The UC APP provides initial and ongoing assessment and treatment of patients’ medical, physical and psychosocial status including the following:
- Obtaining a relevant health and medical history
- Performing a physical examination based on age and history
- Conducting preventive screening procedures based on age and history
- Identifying, recording and updating medical and health risks, needs, and status
- Formulating appropriate differential diagnosis based on history, PE and clinical findings
- Identifying needs of the individual or family resulting from evaluation of collected data
- Ordering and interpreting of diagnostic tests
- Identifying and prescribing appropriate nonpharmacologic interventions
- Performing in-office procedures as approved by supervising or back-up physician
Procedures performed by APP’s in Duke Urgent Care settings may include:
- Cryotherapy (warts)
- Drainage of subungual hematoma
- Laceration repair
- Wound debridement
- Foreign body removal – includes skin and soft tissue, eye and cornea
- Abscess I & D
- Joint aspiration (diagnostic purposes or pain management)
- Joint injection
- Trigger point injection
- Reduction of joint dislocation (mostly finger, but possibly others in emergent situation)
- Reduction of nursemaid’s elbow
- Wedge resection or removal of ingrown toenail
- Complete removal of toenail
- Suture removal
- Treatment of corneal abrasion
- Consulting with or referral to supervising or back-up physician as needed
- Developing and providing a relevant patient/family education plan
- Making appropriate referrals to other health professionals and community agencies
- Determining effectiveness of Plan of Care through documentation of client care outcomes
- Reassessing and modifying Plan of Care as necessary to achieve medical and health goals
- Producing standard documentation for inclusion in the medical record
Job Eligiblity Requirements
- NP: Graduate of an accredited MSN or DNP Nurse Practitioner Program to treat all ages (i.e., FNP or ENP)
- PA: Graduate degree from an accredited Physician Assistant program
- NP: FNP
- PA: PA-C
Note: BLS Certification is required to apply for position. ACLS and PALS must be completed after provider is hired.
- NP: Current RN license with NCBON or compact state with approval to practice as NP to treat all ages (i.e., FNP)
- PA: Current license to practice as a PA issued by NC Medical Board
- 2 years of experience working as a PA or NP in a primary care setting is required.
- Practices are open on weekdays, weekends, and holidays.
- Clinic Hours: 8:00 AM – 8:00 PM
Duke Primary Care Benefits:
- Base salary plus opportunity to earn productivity incentives, as well as patient satisfaction and quality incentives.
- Generous PTO
- 403B employer-sponsored retirement plan
- Up to 40 hours of CME and $2,500 reimbursement per fiscal year
- Malpractice/Tail Coverage
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Jobs For You
As you search for opportunities that fit your skills, any jobs you view will appear here.
You haven’t saved any jobs yet, but when you find an opportunity that seems right for you, bookmark it so you can return to it easily.
As you explore and apply to career opportunities with Duke Health, we want to alert you of possible fraudulent scams and phishing schemes targeted at job seekers. Duke Health will never ask for any financial contribution or to provide sensitive personal information outside of our application and background check process.