Orthopedic Surgical Assist APP / RNFA Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant [PART TIME]
Duke Raleigh Orthopedic– Surgical APP
First Assist Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner
Job Location Duke Raleigh Hospital
Job Summary: The APPs primary responsibility will focus on the surgical (and perioperative) treatment of patients. The APP will serve as an operative assistant under the guidance of an Orthopedic Surgeon. Additionally, the APP will utilize advanced practice skills to help with perioperative and management of inpatients.
Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Serve as an operative assistant under the guidance of an orthopedic surgeon performing robotic, laparoscopic and open procedures
- Assist in consent, documentation and care orders in the pre-operative, intra-operative and post-operative phases of care.
- Assist in case coordination with operative team, attending surgeon and internal and/or external vendors.
- Tuesday and Thursday 12 hour operative days, typically 7a-7p.
- Provide assistance as needed to Orthopedic attending physician.
Job Eligibility Requirements:
PA: Graduate of ARC accredited Physician Assistant program.
NP: Graduate of MSN or DNP accredited Nurse Practitioner Program (for adult care).
Surgical fellowship program is strongly preferred. RNFA training is required.
NP: NP certification to care for adults is required, e.g. FNP, ANP, AGNP, AGACNP.
RNFA certification is required for all NPs.
PA Current and unrestricted license issued by NCMB with authorization to practice as PA
NP: Current and unrestricted RN licensure issued by or recognized by the NCBON with authorization to practice as NP
Both: Federal and State DEA prescriptive authority
There is no experience requirement for this position. New grad PAs with surgical interests and new grad NPs with RNFA training/certification/experience are welcome to apply. NPs without RNFA certification are not eligible for consideration.
Physical and mental requirements:
- Able to clearly articulate scope of practice, and practices within those guidelines as a Nurse Practitioner / Physician Assistant in the state of North Carolina and within the Duke University Health System.
- Able to independently seek out resources and work collaboratively to solve complex problems
- Able to communicate clearly with patients, families, visitors, healthcare team, physicians, administrators, leadership, and others.
- Able to use sensory and cognitive functions to process and prioritize information
- Able to use fine motor skills
- Able to use computer and learn new software programs
- Able to provide leadership in clinical area of expertise and in meeting organizational goals
- Able to navigate the Hospital and DUHS to provide clinical expertise to specific patient populations
- Able to withstand prolonged standing and walking with the ability to move or lift at least fifty pounds
- Able to remain focused and organized
- Able to work collaboratively with all levels of personnel
This is a part time, salaried position. Generally, the schedule will be Tuesday and Thursday, 12-hour shifts. The weekly schedule will be dependent on surgical volume and surgeon block time. The supervising physician will evaluate the surgical schedule at least 1-2 weeks in advance and collaborate with the APP to ensure a predictable schedule that works for both parties.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Explore Duke Raleigh Hospital
Want to see where you’d be working? Check out this location and everything it has to offer you.
Serving With Purpose
You’ve always been called to care – and we share your dedication to making a meaningful difference in the community. With the entire team united through this purpose, there are no limits to what we can achieve together. You’ll have all the resources you need here to leave a legacy of exceptional service because at Duke Health we support you in your calling to care.
Awards and Recognition
Duke Health is consistently recognized as a top employer for our dedication to the team members and the patients we serve.
On Forbes list of Best Large Employers, we are the #1 healthcare recipient in North Carolina for 2023.
Our hospitals are consistently recognized as LGBTQ Healthcare Equality Leaders by Healthcare Equality Index.
We are among about 9 percent of U.S. hospitals that hold the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Magnet Recognition honor.
CHIME Digital Health Most Wired recipient since 2018, honoring our ability to elevate the health and care of communities around the world.
We are proud to be named as the #1 healthcare system in North Carolina on Fortune’s America’s Most Innovative Companies 2023 list.
Jobs For You
As you search for opportunities that fit your skills, any jobs you view will appear here.
You haven’t saved any jobs yet, but when you find an opportunity that seems right for you, bookmark it so you can return to it easily.
More About Duke Health
Upcoming Hiring Events
Check out our calendar of events to stay up-to-date on information sessions, webinars, and other events featuring new opportunities at Duke Health.
Benefits You’ll Love
We want to make your life better both in and out of work. That’s why we offer comprehensive benefits and unique perks that cater to you and your family.
What We Stand For
Our values define the work we do. Team members here share in these values, creating a community that is connected in purpose and committed to excellence.
With hospitals in Raleigh and Durham and over 140 specialty and primary care clinics around the Triangle region, there are many options to join Duke Health in the city and the suburbs.