Duke Health requires team members to receive the COVID-19 and influenza vaccines. After you have officially accepted a position at Duke Health, you may request a religious or medical accommodation.
Radiation Therapist - Duke Hospital - Durham
Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 1,048 licensed inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 65 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; a separate hospital outpatient surgical department with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area. For 2021-2022, U.S. News and World Report ranked Duke University Hospital nationally in 11 adult specialties: cancer, cardiology & heart surgery, diabetes & endocrinology, ear, nose & throat, gastroenterology & GI surgery, gynecology, neurology & neurosurgery, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology & lung surgery, and urology. Duke University Hospital is also ranked first in North Carolina and first in the Raleigh-Durham area.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
Apply ionizing radiation to the patient (inclusive of pediatric, adult, and geriatric populations) in accordance with the prescription and instructions of the Radiation Oncologist and under the general supervision of the Chief Therapist.
- Deliver accurately the prescribed planned course of radiation therapy with minimal supervision.
- Check prescription, diagnosis, chart and patient identification.
- Explain procedure to patient, means of communication during treatment and procedure to follow if emergency arises during treatment.
- Reinforce Radiation Oncologist's advice to patient regarding reactions to treatment and their care.
- Prepare room and equipment for patient according to prescription regarding immobilization devices, field size, treatment distance, lead protection devices, etc.
- Transfer patient safely to treatment couch, giving special care to catheters, intravenous drips, etc.
- Check daily treatment time and delivers prescribed dose.
- Maintain visual and audible communication with the patient during treatment.
- Maintain patient markings.
- Observe patient for unusual reactions and events and report accurate information to the nursing staff and/or Radiation Oncologist. Observe radiation safety measures for patient and personnel.
- Perform simulations.
- Assist in tumor localization procedures, preparation of immobilization devices, etc.
- Assist in dosimetry procedures (i.e. Prescription calculations). Obtain weekly port films and present such at chart rounds for review by Radiation Oncology staff.
- Assume weekly on- call status on a rotation basis.
- Maintain records of daily treatment and other records as required by department quality assurance and quality improvement activities.
- Secure and maintain supplies.
- Secure x-ray and lab reports as needed.
- Report erratic operation of equipment to Chief Radiation therapist, Radiation Physicist and/or Medical Engineer.
- Participate in departmental PI (Performance Improvement) activities.
- Assist in the hiring and orienting of new personnel. Attend weekly QA rounds, monthly therapy meetings, and educational in-services.
- Incorporate department and hospital policies and procedures into care provided.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Aria Software and Varian experience strongly preferred
- 2 years of experience strongly preferred
- Knowledge in principles, practices and procedures involved in the operation of ionizing radiographic and radiation therapy equipment.
- Knowledge of the human anatomy and proper positioning of the patient to provide treatment as prescribed.
- Ability to administer CPR in a medical emergency.
Satisfactory completion of a 24 month course in radiology technology and a 12 month course in radiation therapy technology; or Satisfactory completion of a 24 month course in radiation therapy technology; or Registered nurse who has satisfactorily completed a 12-month course in radiation therapy technology; or Satisfactory completion of a Bachelor of Science degree in radiation therapy.
One year clinical training in Radiation Therapy.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
Current licensure as required by state or national authority and/or certification or board eligible in Radiation Therapy by the American Registry of Radiology Technology. Maintain ARRT certification in radiation therapy with a minimum of documented 12 hours of continuing education.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Registered Nurse (New Grad) - Duke University Hospital - Peds Med/Surg (1A/2A) May 2023 Grads
DUKE HOSPITAL Full Time
Registered Nurse (New Grad) - Duke University Hospital - PICU (May 2023 Grads)
DUKE HOSPITAL Full Time
DUKE REGIONAL HOSPITAL PRN (Per Diem)
Recently Viewed Jobs
- You don't have recently reviewed jobs yet.