Emergency Dept Tech I - Emergency Dept - Duke University Hospital - Durham, NC
Duke Health strongly recommends getting up-to-date vaccinations against COVID-19, especially for those with conditions that place them at higher risk. However, COVID-19 vaccination is no longer a requirement for team members at Duke Health.
Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 1,048 licensed inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 65 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; a separate hospital outpatient surgical department with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area. For 2021-2022, U.S. News and World Report ranked Duke University Hospital nationally in 11 adult specialties: cancer, cardiology & heart surgery, diabetes & endocrinology, ear, nose & throat, gastroenterology & GI surgery, gynecology, neurology & neurosurgery, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology & lung surgery, and urology. Duke University Hospital is also ranked first in North Carolina and first in the Raleigh-Durham area.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
Duke Nursing Highlights:
- Duke University Health System is designated as a Magnet organization
- Nurses from each hospital are consistently recognized each year as North Carolina's Great 100 Nurses.
- Duke University Health System was awarded the American Board of Nursing Specialties Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy for being strong advocates of specialty nursing certification.
- Duke University Health System has 6000 + registered nurses
- Quality of Life: Living in the Triangle!
- Relocation Assistance (based on eligibility)
Emergency Department Technician I - ED Tech I - Duke University Hospital - Durham, NC
***ED Technician joining Duke Health System after 10/1/22, are eligible for a $5000 sign on bonus***
The Emergency Department at Duke University Hospital is comprised of 81 total beds including 18 Pediatric beds/36 Adult Monitored beds/8 Psychiatric beds/11 Evaluation beds/3 Consult beds/4 Triage beds/1 Sexual Assault Examiner Room/ and a dedicated central telemetry station . Our team is active in delivering exemplary care for each patient to ensure an excellent patient experience, every time.
Full Time ONLY
3 -12 hour shifts per week
Shift options available - Nights 7p-7a
- Under the direction of the Nurse, performs initial basic life support interventions (airway, breathing, and circulation) on emergency department patients presenting for care.
- Initiates life saving measures, i.e., opening an airway, hemorrhage control, chest compressions, stabilization of fractures, cervical spine alignment/protection.
- Stabilizes and extricates injured patients from vehicles at the emergency department entrance.
- Assists patients to and from vehicles and the emergency department.
- Acts as a liaison between the patient family/significant other and the members of the emergency staff by maintaining open communication regarding patient condition, changes in condition, patient complaints, status, progress, etc.
- Transports patients from triage/waiting area to the treatment area in the emergency department at the request of the Nurse
- Performs related duties as required.
- The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
- DUH ED duties might include some of the following: Perform EKG’s and vital signs per policy and as directed by the nurse; assist patients with care needs; assist patients with requests for information; assist with labelling of specimens and making sure nurse or ED Tech receive specimen, hourly rounding for needs, comfort and pain rating.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Must be able to perform all Nurse Aide I tasks as defined by the North Carolina Division of Facility Services Nurse Aide Registry. Heavy lifting and the ability to transport stretcher and wheelchair patients to various hospital locations are required.
- This person must be able to provide care and services to all patients from birth to the elderly.
- Must have excellent prioritization skills and self motivation in addition to their basic knowledge and skills. Must be able to work in a fast-paced unpredictable environment under very stressful conditions.
- Must be able to be trained in all aspects of hazmat decontamination procedures.
- Must demonstrate competency validation in skills and knowledge for performance of roles and responsibilities.
- Work requires graduation from an accredited high school or a GED.
- Successful completion of the NCA I training as defined by the Division of Facility Services in the State of North Carolina or North Carolina EMT training.
- Work requires the ability to understand and follow oral and writteninstructions.
- Related experience preferred but not required.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
- Current minimum listing as an NCA I with the Division of Facility Services OR current minimum credential as EMT with no substantiated findings of abuse, fraud, neglect or misappropriation of property.
- BLS Required
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Explore Duke University Hospital
Want to see where you’d be working? Check out this location and everything it has to offer you.
Serving With Purpose
You’ve always been called to care – and we share your dedication to making a meaningful difference in the community. With the entire team united through this purpose, there are no limits to what we can achieve together. You’ll have all the resources you need here to leave a legacy of exceptional service because at Duke Health we support you in your calling to care.
Awards and Recognition
Duke Health is consistently recognized as a top employer for our dedication to the team members and the patients we serve.
On Forbes list of Best Large Employers, we are the #1 healthcare recipient in North Carolina for 2023.
Our hospitals are consistently recognized as LGBTQ Healthcare Equality Leaders by Healthcare Equality Index.
We are among about 9 percent of U.S. hospitals that hold the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Magnet Recognition honor.
CHIME Digital Health Most Wired recipient since 2018, honoring our ability to elevate the health and care of communities around the world.
We are proud to be named as the #1 healthcare system in North Carolina on Fortune’s America’s Most Innovative Companies 2023 list.
Jobs For You
As you search for opportunities that fit your skills, any jobs you view will appear here.
You haven’t saved any jobs yet, but when you find an opportunity that seems right for you, bookmark it so you can return to it easily.
More About Duke Health
Upcoming Hiring Events
Check out our calendar of events to stay up-to-date on information sessions, webinars, and other events featuring new opportunities at Duke Health.
Benefits You’ll Love
We want to make your life better both in and out of work. That’s why we offer comprehensive benefits and unique perks that cater to you and your family.
What We Stand For
Our values define the work we do. Team members here share in these values, creating a community that is connected in purpose and committed to excellence.
With hospitals in Raleigh and Durham and over 140 specialty and primary care clinics around the Triangle region, there are many options to join Duke Health in the city and the suburbs.