Duke Health requires team members to receive the COVID-19 and influenza vaccines. After you have officially accepted a position at Duke Health, you may request a religious or medical accommodation.
Clinical Pharmacist - Duke HomeCare and Hospice (Full-Time/Day Shift)
Work Location: Duke HomeCare and Hospice - Durham, NC
- Monday – Friday
- 9:30am – 6:00pm
- On-call rotation
General Description of the Job Class
- Provide pharmaceutical care services to the patients of the Duke University Health System including, but not limited to oversight, monitoring, preparation, dispensing and proper documentation of patient medication therapy as well as providing drug information, patient information and oversight of information and dispensing systems; ensure compliance with Federal, State and local laws and regulations as well as proper storage and documentation. May also advise physicians on matters pertaining to drug usage and control; participate in the development and delivery of continuing education programs for Pharmacy, Patient Care Services, Medical Staff and students.
- Performs specified distributive and clinical pharmacy activities and related services as they pertain to providing safe and effective home infusion therapies.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
- Adheres to policies and procedures.
- Coordinates and facilitates new referrals/admissions through collaboration with nursing, admissions, operations, and sterile products.
- Reviews, receives/verifies all new patient orders; documents the same on the respective order form.
- Assists the physician and other healthcare professionals involved in planning and implementing patient care in the home to ensure safe and effective drug therapy.
- Conducts initial and ongoing assessment of specific patient drug and disease information to identify real and potential drug-related problems or needs.
- Assists the physician and nursing staff in setting therapeutic objectives for drug therapy and establishing parameters for monitoring the safety and efficacy of drug therapy.
- Monitors the outcomes from drug therapy by collecting, evaluating, and interpreting the results of laboratory data, clinical data, and other pertinent patient information.
- Communicates the results of therapeutic drug monitoring activities to the physician, nursing staff, and other appropriate persons; makes appropriate recommendations that are designed to enhance the outcomes associated with drug therapy.
- Programs infusion control devices as indicated.
- Provides consultations and answers inquiries from patients, families, physicians, and other healthcare professionals regarding drugs and their use.
- Maintains thorough and appropriate documentation in the patient/clinic record of all clinical activities and communication with patients, physicians, and other healthcare professionals.
- Oversee, coordinates, directs, and/or participates in the preparation of sterile admixtures, dispenses all pharmaceuticals and related supplies and equipment in accordance with federal, state, and local laws and standards of practice that govern the profession of pharmacy.
- Processes and checks medications, supplies, and equipment prior to dispensing from the pharmacy.
- Maintains pharmacy records in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Maintains clinical skills and knowledge of pharmacotherapy by reviewing literature and attending in-services, seminars, and conferences.
- Participates in on-call rotation.
- Performs marketing support functions as requested.
- Participates in orientation/training programs for new personnel and current staff.
- Maintains confidentiality of patient information.
- Promotes culture by providing quality, comprehensive services to all customers through a team approach.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience and strong knowledge base in intravenous admixture services and intravenous drug therapy is required.
- Must be capable of assuming responsibility for evaluating and monitoring drug therapy relative to the total needs/problems of the home care patient in collaboration with physicians, nurses, and other healthcare professionals.
- Must be able to work effectively with others to provide safe and effective drug therapy.
- Must demonstrate ability to solve problems and supervise technical and other support staff.
- Must be flexible with work schedule.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
Doctor of Pharmacy Degree OR BS Pharmacy Degree
- With a BS Pharmacy degree, two years of pharmacy practice experience, or acceptable board certification, or completion of an accredited residency program and demonstrated ability to achieve positive patient outcomes in a similar environment is required.
- With Doctor of Pharmacy degree, no experience is required.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
- Licensed Pharmacist or eligible to practice pharmacy in North Carolina
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Jobs For You
As you search for opportunities that fit your skills, any jobs you view will appear here.
You haven’t saved any jobs yet, but when you find an opportunity that seems right for you, bookmark it so you can return to it easily.
As you explore and apply to career opportunities with Duke Health, we want to alert you of possible fraudulent scams and phishing schemes targeted at job seekers. Duke Health will never ask for any financial contribution or to provide sensitive personal information outside of our application and background check process.