Duke Health requires team members to receive the COVID-19 and influenza vaccines. After you have officially accepted a position at Duke Health, you may request a religious or medical accommodation.
Communication Center Operator - Duke Health Technology Solutions - Durham
Call center agent needed for major university and health system in a 24/7 operation. Responsible for answering telephone calls from the public and internal university/hospital system, facilitating communications throughout the hospital system through the use of multiple communication tools and systems. Serves as the Information Center for staff, physicians and the community.
The Telephone Operator is responsible for answering all incoming calls to Duke University and Health System. Knowledge of business office procedures. Grammar, spelling, punctuation, and typing skills. Skill in answering the telephone in a professional, pleasant, and helpful manner. Ability to speak clearly and concisely. Ability to read, understand, and follow oral and written instruction.
Responsible for answering telephone calls from the public and internal university and hospital systems, facilitating communications throughout the institution through the use of multiple communication tools and systems. Serve as the Information Center for staff, physicians and the community.
- Manage calls and information flow in a 24/7 in a large university and medical center setting
- Must have prior call center experience
- Be able to perform multiple tasks simultaneously, have excellent communication skills (good listening skill and clear diction)
- Must have good judgment and decision-making skills (particularly in emergency situations), integrate new information with accuracy and speed, self-motivated to find information needed and to work with the team.
- Be able to receive and dispatch emergency code calls with accuracy and speed
- Customer service, confidentiality, strong comfort level with computers, basic knowledge of health care and medical terminology are essential.
- Answer calls on a multi-line system, determine the caller's need, and transfer the call to the appropriate department. May need to research within software database to determine how to assist the caller (department referrals, physicians, appointment line, etc.)
- Having a clear, professional speaking voice and providing excellent customer service to all customers are key!
- Must also have prior experience answering and routing calls using a multi-line phone or system and must be comfortable using a computer for research/emails and learning new systems.
- Screen telephone calls to ensure routing to the appropriate department or individual.
- Ability to talk and type simultaneously
- Computer literate
- Typing speed of 40 WPM minimum with 90% accuracy
- Excellent spelling
- Excellent Customer Service skills
- Exceptional phone etiquette
- Have a positive attitude
- MS Office knowledge required
- Bilingual is a plus
- Work requires knowledge of basic grammar, comprehension, and education. communication principles normally acquired through a high school education
- Work requires 1 year experience as a communication center operator trainee or related position to acquire competency in the operation of a communication terminal and related equipment.
- OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- High School Diploma or GED
- At least 2 years medical office experience
- 1 year office switchboard experience
- Basic computer and keyboarding skills
- At least 1 year working experience in a Community Based Organization or Customer Service.
- Must be available to work flexible days and hours·
- Proficiency in written and verbal English and targeted language.
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Professional telephone manner.
- Proficiency in PC/MAC – working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to prioritize assignments to complete work in a timely manner.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Jobs For You
As you search for opportunities that fit your skills, any jobs you view will appear here.
You haven’t saved any jobs yet, but when you find an opportunity that seems right for you, bookmark it so you can return to it easily.
As you explore and apply to career opportunities with Duke Health, we want to alert you of possible fraudulent scams and phishing schemes targeted at job seekers. Duke Health will never ask for any financial contribution or to provide sensitive personal information outside of our application and background check process.