Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant - Duke Medical Oncology Sarcoma Clinic
As a part of Duke Health’s outpatient clinic network, you will enjoy competitive compensation, comprehensive benefits plans, convenient work hours, and many opportunities for career advancement. Become a part of a team that values and invests in you.
Duke Advanced Practice Highlights:
- The nation’s first Physician Assistant Program was created at Duke in 1965 and is consistently ranked No. 1 in the country.
- The Duke School of Nursing is consistently ranked as one of the top nursing schools and their MSN and DNP programs offers eight advanced practice registered nurse majors and specialty certifications, as well as post master’s certificates and certification alignment programs.
- Commitment to ongoing learning for APPs through annual CME funding and access to high-quality Duke CME offerings including APP Grand Rounds and a professional advancement program. APPs are leaders in multiple arenas within Duke.
- Duke offers APPs opportunities to practice within team based integrative care in a tremendous variety of specialties. APPs are expected to work to top of scope in order to contribute to Duke’s missions which include clinical practice, education, and research.
- Practice locations can include Duke Health’s three hospitals or over 140 primary care and specialty care clinics throughout North Carolina.
Duke Cancer Center, Sarcoma Clinic, 20 Duke Medicine Circle, Durham, NC
We are seeking an Advanced Practice Provider in our Sarcoma Clinic at Duke University Hospital’s Cancer Center located in Durham, NC to work in collaboration with attending physicians, collect and document data, conduct diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, order and schedule laboratory studies and professional consultations, and provide direct patient care services. Primary hours will be Monday through Friday, day shift, with hours flexible to meet the needs of the patients.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Perform diagnostic and therapeutic procedures to assist physician in diagnosing medical and surgical problems and prescribing necessary treatment and services for quality patient care; record the normal and abnormal data for review by the physician.
- Take patient histories, conduct physical examinations, and record the date in the patient's record; write progress notes; prepare patient workups and summaries noting pertinent positive and negative findings; obtain psychosocial history relevant to patient care, and assume responsibility for developing therapeutic relationships with patients.
- Order and schedule laboratory studies and diagnostic procedures; explain necessity, preparation, nature and anticipated effects of scheduled diagnostic and therapeutic procedures to the patient.
- Carry out therapeutic procedures such as wound suturing and dressing changes; monitor progress of patients, report progress to supervising physician, and maintain record of each patient's progress, consulting with supervising physician when patient's progress does not meet anticipated and/or predetermined criteria.
- Participate in basic science and clinical research projects conducted by supervising physician; prepare statistical reports and analyses setting forth progress, adverse trends and appropriate recommendations or conclusions. Review the work of lower rated employees; train new personnel. Participate in teaching students and residents in techniques and procedures which are unique to specific clinical setting.
Job Eligibility Requirements
- Nurse Practitioners: Work requires completion of an accredited Nurse Practitioner program, with a Master's degree in Nursing.
- Physician Assistants: Completion of an accredited Physician Assistant program. A Bachelor's degree required; Master's degree strongly preferred.
- BLS required.
- Nurse Practitioners: Must have current or compact RN licensure in the state of North Carolina. BLS required. National certification as a NP required prior to or within 6 months of employment.
- Physician Assistants: Must be licensed in the state of NC, and be certified as a Physician Assistant by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants.
- Prefer candidates with 1+ years of APP experience.
Monday-Friday, day shift, with flexibility to meet clinic needs
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Explore Duke Health Integrated Practice
Want to see where you’d be working? Check out this location and everything it has to offer you.
Serving With Purpose
You’ve always been called to care – and we share your dedication to making a meaningful difference in the community. With the entire team united through this purpose, there are no limits to what we can achieve together. You’ll have all the resources you need here to leave a legacy of exceptional service because at Duke Health we support you in your calling to care.
Awards and Recognition
Duke Health is consistently recognized as a top employer for our dedication to the team members and the patients we serve.
On Forbes list of Best Large Employers, we are the #1 healthcare recipient in North Carolina for 2023.
Our hospitals are consistently recognized as LGBTQ Healthcare Equality Leaders by Healthcare Equality Index.
We are among about 9 percent of U.S. hospitals that hold the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Magnet Recognition honor.
CHIME Digital Health Most Wired recipient since 2018, honoring our ability to elevate the health and care of communities around the world.
We are proud to be named as the #1 healthcare system in North Carolina on Fortune’s America’s Most Innovative Companies 2023 list.
Jobs For You
As you search for opportunities that fit your skills, any jobs you view will appear here.
You haven’t saved any jobs yet, but when you find an opportunity that seems right for you, bookmark it so you can return to it easily.
More About Duke Health
Upcoming Hiring Events
Check out our calendar of events to stay up-to-date on information sessions, webinars, and other events featuring new opportunities at Duke Health.
Benefits You’ll Love
We want to make your life better both in and out of work. That’s why we offer comprehensive benefits and unique perks that cater to you and your family.
What We Stand For
Our values define the work we do. Team members here share in these values, creating a community that is connected in purpose and committed to excellence.
With hospitals in Raleigh and Durham and over 140 specialty and primary care clinics around the Triangle region, there are many options to join Duke Health in the city and the suburbs.