Respiratory Care Assistant - Duke Raleigh Hospital - Part Time
Duke Health strongly recommends getting up-to-date vaccinations against COVID-19, especially for those with conditions that place them at higher risk. However, COVID-19 vaccination is no longer a requirement for team members at Duke Health.
Duke Raleigh Hospital offers the latest in care and technology in a patient-friendly setting. It has been an important part of Duke Health since 1998 and has served Wake County for more than 35 years, employing more than 2,000 team members. The hospital provides 186 inpatient beds and a comprehensive array of services, including the Duke Raleigh Cancer Center, Duke Raleigh Orthopedic and Spine Center, cardiovascular services, neurosciences including the Duke Raleigh Skull Base and Cerebrovascular Center, advanced digestive care, disease management, and prevention, wound healing, outpatient imaging, intensive and progressive care, pain clinic, same-day surgery, emergency department and community outreach and education programs.
U.S. News & World Report ranked Duke Raleigh Hospital as high performing in orthopedics and five adult procedures/conditions: chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), heart failure, kidney failure, lung cancer surgery, and stroke.
RCA - Respiratory Care Assistant - Duke Raleigh Hospital
Duke Raleigh Hospital seeks to hire a Respiratory Care Assistant - an active respiratory student who has completed their first year of an approved respiratory program - to embrace our mission of Advancing Health Together.
General Description of the Job Class
Perform diagnostic and therapeutic clinical procedures as defined in the Respiratory Care Services scope of clinical practice. Work performed in accordance with physician orders and under supervision of a Registered Respiratory Therapist.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
- Verify physician orders for appropriateness and accuracy.
- Understand pharmacological indications, dosages and response to adverse drug reactions.
- Consults with providers based on patient care assessments and in accordance to accepted protocols. Provides education to patients, families, physicians, nursing and other members of the health care team.
- Monitors response to all therapy. Documents in the patient medical record. Communicates all pertinent clinical information during patient rounds and handoff.
- Perform diagnostic cardiopulmonary procedures; inclusive of nasotracheal and artificial airway suctioning and samples, arterial blood gas punctures, pulse oximetry and EtCO2 monitoring, pulmonary function and bedside pulmonary mechanics, and EKG's.
- Recognizes life threatening situations and initiates appropriate response, perform CPR and bag- mask ventilation
- Assure correct set-up, safety and function of all equipment/ supplies necessary in the provision of patient care.
- Assure adherence to all infectious disease standards in the delivery of all patient care procedures.
- Participates in quality improvement activities.
- Maintains all necessary safety and life support certifications per required.
- Can provide the following therapy:
- Oxygen Supply Systems Equipment Processing
- Manual Resuscitation
- Oxygen administration
- Humidity and Aerosol Therapy
- Small Volume Nebulizer
- MDI Administration
- Incentive Spirometry
- Airway Clearance Therapy
- Arterial Uncture ECG (if performed by hiring institute)
Required Qualifications at this Level
- Active enrollment in a 2 year approved respiratory care program (Associates Degree or the equivalent) and is in good standing.
- Completion of the first semester of the respiratory care program.
- None required
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification
- The student RCP must register with the Board before providing Respiratory Care procedures as a Respiratory Care Assistant and will receive an approval letter from the Board. The student RCP will provide a copy of the approval letter to the employer.
- Certification in Basic Life Support (BLS) and any other certifications applicable to the institution.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge necessary to make appropriate clinical decisions and interactions relative to the specific age of a patient.
- Skills validation/certifications of competencies for the duties and responsibilities of this level.
- Must maintain annual skill and safety/compliance requirements
- Must maintain North Carolina annual license requirements for CEU's
- Customer service and communication expertise.
- Work involves contact with patients of all ages, family members, physicians, nursing, and all other members of the health care team.
- Work is performed in all areas of the hospital.
- Required to carry emergency airway bag weighing approximately 20 pounds.
- Work requires walking, running, climbing and bending.
Job Code: 00004613 RESPIRATORY CARE ASSISTANT
Job Level: C1
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs atDuke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Explore Duke Raleigh Hospital
Want to see where you’d be working? Check out this location and everything it has to offer you.
Serving With Purpose
You’ve always been called to care – and we share your dedication to making a meaningful difference in the community. With the entire team united through this purpose, there are no limits to what we can achieve together. You’ll have all the resources you need here to leave a legacy of exceptional service because at Duke Health we support you in your calling to care.
Awards and Recognition
Duke Health is consistently recognized as a top employer for our dedication to the team members and the patients we serve.
On Forbes list of Best Large Employers, we are the #1 healthcare recipient in North Carolina for 2023.
Our hospitals are consistently recognized as LGBTQ Healthcare Equality Leaders by Healthcare Equality Index.
We are among about 9 percent of U.S. hospitals that hold the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Magnet Recognition honor.
CHIME Digital Health Most Wired recipient since 2018, honoring our ability to elevate the health and care of communities around the world.
We are proud to be named as the #1 healthcare system in North Carolina on Fortune’s America’s Most Innovative Companies 2023 list.
Jobs For You
As you search for opportunities that fit your skills, any jobs you view will appear here.
You haven’t saved any jobs yet, but when you find an opportunity that seems right for you, bookmark it so you can return to it easily.
More About Duke Health
Upcoming Hiring Events
Check out our calendar of events to stay up-to-date on information sessions, webinars, and other events featuring new opportunities at Duke Health.
Benefits You’ll Love
We want to make your life better both in and out of work. That’s why we offer comprehensive benefits and unique perks that cater to you and your family.
What We Stand For
Our values define the work we do. Team members here share in these values, creating a community that is connected in purpose and committed to excellence.
With hospitals in Raleigh and Durham and over 140 specialty and primary care clinics around the Triangle region, there are many options to join Duke Health in the city and the suburbs.